Residents in Cheadle are represented by a range of democratically-elected representatives and decision-makers. They have specific and largely discrete areas of responsibility.
This guide provides an non-exhaustive overview of the responsibilities of your local MP Mary Robinson, as well as Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council, Greater Manchester Police & Crime Commissioner and Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Authority.
The aim is to help local residents identify who is responsible for the area of law and/or policy. Please contact the relevant organisation directly, so your query can be dealt with efficiently, rather than being passed from one organisation to another.
MP/Westminster Parliament Responsibilities
- Engagement with central government departments, and areas of national policy that the Westminster Parliament is responsible for
- Scrutinising and passing national legislation.
The MP does not control any budgets directly, does not provide grants, and is not a member of Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council, and has no control over their decisions.
The MP has no influence over council house/social housing allocations, and is not involved in local planning decisions.
Mary cannot assist you with legal disputes, or disputes with neighbours or other residents. Mary cannot provide legal or financial advice.
The Cheadle constituency consists of; Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Bramhall, Gatley, Woodford, Stepping Hill and Heald Green.
Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council Responsibilities
Click here for a non-exhaustive list of of the responsibilities of and services provided by Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council:
- Housing & Housing Benefit - including applying for a council house/social housing, and all matters connected to social housing.
- Council Tax, and related issues
- Planning and development - including planning permission applications and appeals
- Parking - including parking permits, fines and appeals
- Anti-social behaviour, graffiti, abandoned vehicles, and complaints about noise and environmental health
- Business Rates
- Coastal defences/management (working with Environment Agency and Hampshire County Council)
- Waste disposal, including emptying bins
Click here to contact Stockport Council.
Greater Manchester Police & Crime Commissioner
Police budget management and policing strategy across Greater Manchester
Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Authority
Fire service budget management and resource allocation across Greater Manchester